Check out the link below to see the Construction Challenge presented by Volvo Construction Equipment. This is the perfect challenge for students in our program to take part in once they get to high school. The link below will take you to their home page where you can watch a video from the 2011 Construction Challenge!
What is the Construction Challenge?
The Construction Challenge is a career-education initiative to help develop the workforce of the future. Teens compete and solve infrastructure, design, and service tech Challenges using teamwork, creativity and problem solving.
When is the Construction Challenge?
9 Regional Rallies will take place on Saturday, January 15, 2011. The top 24 teams advance to the Championship Finals at CONEXPO-CON/AGG in Las Vegas, from March 21-25, 2011.
Who is sponsoring the Construction Challenge?
The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM), Volvo Construction Equipment (VCE), and Destination ImagiNation®(DI) are working together to provide students a hands-on, real-world experience that will inspire them to explore and pursue careers in the construction industry.
Did you know…
- The average age of today’s construction worker is 52.
- Due to baby boomer retirements – the construction industry is seeing a growing workforce shortage.
- The construction industry will need to add 1,000,000 jobs to the workforce by 2012
- AEM has been charged with the task of attracting students to the construction industry
- This industry is actively looking for talented and motivated employees for a wide range of career opportunities – from engineering, project management, and service technicians, to sales, marketing, systems, and graphic designers!
Who can compete?
Students enrolled in high school (grades 9-12) or the equivalent at technical or vocational schools or home school. Students form teams with 5 to 7 members and a supervising adult Team Manager who is at least 21 years old. A maximum of 50 teams compete at each Rally.
Where is it being held?
The 9 Regional Rallies are being held in:
Atlanta / Chicago / Cincinnati / Dallas / Enid (Oklahoma) / Milwaukee / Seattle / Toronto / Richmond
How much does it cost to participate?
$125 per team for a team of 5 to 7 students, plus an adult Team Manager (at least 21 years old).
Tell me more – what will the teams be doing at the Regional Rally?
Teams will be using their research to solve 3 Challenges on-site. All materials will be provided. In addition, teams will have the opportunity to explore careers with representatives of companies from various construction industries.
How do we get started?
- Go to www.constructionchallenge.org
- Click on the Registration button. This will take you to www.ShopDI.org where you can purchase one or more team registrations at $125 per team.
- Enter the registration information and click Done and you are registered!
- A Registration Packet will be sent, which includes more details about the Regional Rally, the Challenges, and forms that need to be completed.